Monday, May 8, 2017

The People You Meet

People of the forest, 

It has been warm and chilly and just pretty normal here in Keighley. Met some drunk people, someone burned our rubbish bin and I ate some shortbread👍🏼


I have been requested to tell cool stories haha. Well TBH Keighley is full of People from the Middle East. Like over half the population is Muslim. And Keighley has one of the largest drug markets in the area. So there's always something crazy going on. There's housing estates here called council housing. Missionaries nickname them chav estates and they tend to be a favourite place for missionaries to go. Here's a really good definition:

Chav (/ˈtʃæv/ chav) (charver in parts of Northern England) is a pejorative epithet used in Britain to describe a particular stereotype of anti-social youth dressed in sportswear. The word was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century by the British mass media to refer to an anti-social youth subculture in the United Kingdom.[4] The Oxford English Dictionary defines chav as an informal British derogatory, meaning "a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes".

So now when I reference a chav you will all know. 

Some cool things from this week:
We met an older lady in a nicer area (hard to find) she said oh I have traveled all over America and Canada I love it there. So of course I asked if she'd been to all the typical places like Orlando, Toronto, California. And then she said I have even been to Salt Lake City! Now I was getting curious. She had a pamphlet from temple square and everything. Further along in the conversation I asked her favourite place she's been. She said, "I really like Montana and Idaho." I'm like whoa. When I asked her why, she said, "I love the national parks." Turns out she has been to every single national park in North America. Yes even Waterton. That was neat.

We were knocking some doors in a super historical town. I'm not sure, but I guess it's where the famous Bronte sister wrote some books. Idk but this bloke said, "No, no I met some lads from Germany and America last time and I'm not interested." I told him now he can cross Australia and Canada off the list. Then he told me he's Australian and his wife is Canadian. What are the odds?!

This week we had a multi zone conference.  Unfortunately Elder Walker is now in York zone so I didn't see him :/
But this whole day was based on the Teton dam bursting, how it all started with little cracks that grew and grew. We were asked to identify the crack we have in relation to being obedient and to repair the cracks and to be fully consecrated to the work. Examples given were; we must see companions iPad screens, clean up our vocabulary and don't use replacement words. In your weekly emails to President we need to put some time in and share about our area and companion and also help him see what he can do to help us. I really enjoy the emphasis on obedience as it is always a good reminder as to he sacredness of this calling. To be representatives of Jesus Christ is a big deal and we must honour and treat it as such.

Family and friends I know the Book of Mormon is true. Joseph smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. I know Thomas S. Monson is called of God. I love the work and love God's plan for me. 

Love elder pilling 
Sent from the land of lads

These pictures are really toaster but that's ok 


No comments:

Post a Comment