Monday, April 24, 2017

New Area, New Companion

This week I learned missions are actually fun. I LOVE my new comp.  He is
the funniest and we just have the best time haha.

Yes it was very hard to leave my Beverley family behind. I felt a bit
lost for the first few days here. I didn't know anyone and didn't know
where to go. The ward here is completely different. About the same
number of people, 60 ish active. But more young families which is so
new to me. The area is so different. You are either going up a hill or
going down hill, it is never flat here haha. No bikes in this area and I can
see why haha. If you look up Keighley on an elevation map you will
quickly find out they are steep. There are loads of Muslims around. I
think there are 3 mosques and a 4th being built or something crazy. The
over all average income here is much lower than Beverley. Loads of
chav estates hahaha. Makes missionary work interesting. Right now we
have a few investigators but looking to find some real solid ones.
Should be a interesting week.

My companion is from near Wollongong Australia! He turned 20 in Feb
and did 2 years Uni before coming out. He likes to work! Man we work
so hard and he's super diligent with all the people he's found and
names and interests. He knows so many names of people. He just got out
of training so still learning. We are both learning! Always learning
new things. I love being able to serve with a new outlook on the work.
We test out new ideas all the time.  Some are horrible but some are so
good.




My favourite part of the day is personal study time. Over the past few
weeks I have had some thought about the priesthood and our duty to
serve and how it directly applies to our work. My studies are mostly from 2
separate talks. One talks about Aaronic priesthood and how it is the
preparatory priesthood. I look back to the times when I was preparing
for the Melchizedek priesthood. I see the times when I was truly
preparing and the times when I was coasting or even braking my
progress. The things that helped me prepare:
Dedicating time and diligently visiting my home teaching families. How similar 
this is to serving a mission!  Also serving those members of the
ward who need help. Being kind and offering that service always.
Even seeking service outside young men's service is best. Learning and
growing as I served the other young men. Being a leader helping them
exercise their priesthood. One of the things I wish I had was more of an
opportunity to exercise my priesthood and to actively pursue ways to
use it. After all, we do not have the priesthood to benefit ourselves but
to benefit others.

I love the organization of the church. I know God has called Thomas S.
Monson to be a prophet.  Have a great week!


Love Elder Pilling
Sent from the land of lads

No comments:

Post a Comment