Monday, November 14, 2016

First week in the first area

Hey!
To start, my mission president is great. I didn't spend a ton of time with him.  Like only a 3 min interview and a 15 min lesson. But I can tell he is super in tune with the spirit. We have around 200 missionaries in my mission. I am about 2 hours via train and bus from the mission home. My area is called Beverley. It's small and full of old people. The ward boundaries are similar to Dewinton and it's the whole town of Beverley and 4-5 outlying villages. IT IS NOT A BIKING mission. Very few cars as well. So I average 16-20 Kms walking a day. My companion is Elder Blonquist from
Spanish Fork Utah (worked at essential oils factory before mish). He has been out 14 months I'm his second trainee. He turned 19 in June I think. He had a car in this area with his last companion so he's a lil sour.  I lead everywhere so I'm getting used to the roads. This last week we did 20+ hours of
finding. So tons of door knocking and street contacting. We have maybe talked to 6 people longer than 2 minutes. No progressing investigators atm. 2 converts in the last year tho. So we meet with them a bit. The ward members are awesome.  It's small, maybe 60-70 people. Loads of the nicest
old people. We get fed 2-3 tea meals a week (dinner).

Food. The dinners we are fed are very good. Classic Sunday meals like potatoes, meat pie and carrots with gravy. The meals we cook are ok. Noodles with beef and tomato sauce or we made some curry. My companion doesn't like to spend a lot of money on food so we eat cheap. Like 20£ a week. The milk is good. About the same as home. I had cereal every morning.  It was some healthy raisin bran type stuff. Food is so cheap here. Box of cereal is like 1£. Noodles 50 cents.

Our flat is so nice. 3 bedroom. 1 shower and 2 toilets. I sleep on a single bed and I'm super warm at night. We have a washer, but no dryer, so we hang dry.

It snowed in Leeds Tuesday night but not in Beverly. I'm freezing!! I wear a sweater, both jackets and scarf and gloves almost everyday. One day I even had to wear thermals it was so cold. I'm doing good and working hard. Everything is so small here. Small cars, small houses. 80% of vehicles here are diesel. Most BMWs I've ever seen haha. My favorite one is a BMW 140d m touring. So sweet. Tons of diesel for cars and Nissan. Loads of Vauxhall and citreon too. All stick shift too. I've seen 1 Land Cruiser and about 3 dozen Land Rover defenders hahaha. 

Transfer day is December 13th. My companion says president likes to switch trainers for the new guys so he thinks I'll get a new companion.  We'll see though.

Gotta run!

Elder Pilling

Cale's flat

Elder Pilling Selfie!

No comments:

Post a Comment